December 25, 2006

Book 56: The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction

The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction
Edited by Michael Martone and Lex Williford

This book is kind of hard to review, seeing as its a compilation of fifty stories from a variety of authors. It seeks to be diverse as part of its mission. Insofar as its mission to present a wide array of short stories written since 1970, I think it excels. Some of the stories are great, some are experimental, some are okay, and some are utterly terrible, but all of them have helped me think about my own work as a writer. One ("The Man Who Knew Belle Starr") even directly inspired a story of my own. Many made me cry. It took me a whole year to get through this anthology, a few stories at a time, but I think that's a good way to be exposed to something like this. I intend to keep it around when I'm looking for inspiration or a quick read.

Grade: A

No comments: