April 15, 2014

Book 1: Year's Best SF 18

Year's Best SF 18
Edited by David G. Hartwell

After an extended hiatus, I eased back into reading over the first four months of the year, and I found Year's Best SF 18 to be an excellent way to get back into reading with its strong group of (mostly) compelling stories. Editor David G. Hartwell has clearly made an attempt to reflect many of the genre's nuances by including stories of varying subgenres, styles, and length. Not all of the stories are particularly memorable (and some, of course, left me quite a bit flabbergasted for one reason or another), but the highs are very high indeed. Some of the highlights are the stories that effortlessly transport readers into their realms and explore those settings through the plot; these include Eleanor Arnason's delightful pastiche "Holmes Sherlock: A Hwarhath Mystery" and Naomi Kritzer's "Liberty's Daughter." Though the latter story ends on a bit of a cliffhanger (as it is part of a larger narrative), I was so drawn to the setting that I didn't even mind the ending; I can't wait to get my hands on the whole thing (if it comes into being). Every anthology has its duds and its stories that could be good for other readers- just not for me- but I was pleased with the overall quality of fiction here. In other contexts, I might skip the very military (but surprisingly intellectual) "The Battle of Candle Arc" by Yoon Ha Lee; instead, I read it and loved it. The story is set in a universe that is a little difficult to fully digest within the context of a single short story, but it has compelling characters and an ending that perfectly encapsulates a previously unnoticed theme running throughout the whole story. I believe, upon reflection, that it is "Weep for Day" (by Indraprimit Das) that has had the most lasting effect on me. Beautiful, elegiac, and allegorical, it is a deeply human story that serves as a fine example of the ways in which the fantastic settings, characters, and scenarios of science fiction can provide us with valuable and unexpected mirrors with which to view ourselves. Sure, there are plenty of aliens here, but Year's Best SF 18 demonstrates the vast scope of modern science fiction and offers enough variety that everyone should find at least a story or two that speaks to them.

Grade: A-

No comments: